Craving pizza but don’t want to ruin your diet (or health!) with typical fast-food pizza? Try my delicious, homemade, Meat and Veggie Delight Pizza. The family will love it and it’s full of nutrients to keep your body in tip top shape. It’s already full of healthy protein and veggies, but feel free to add more of your favorites to this tasty meal! Enjoy!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup sweet onion strips
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, strips
- 4 oz. 96% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 1⁄2 oz. fresh turkey or chicken Italian sausage, sliced
- 16 oz. fresh or frozen whole wheat pizza dough, defrosted, if necessary or 100% whole wheat prepared pizza crust Boboli (brand)
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat, low sodium pizza sauce from a jar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices turkey pepperoni
- 2 Tbsp. kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Optional: Basil leaves
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Heat a medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat and lightly mist with spray. Add onions, mushrooms, and peppers. Cook about 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are tender and just barely starting to brown. Remove pan contents into another dish.
Turn heat to medium-high and return pan to heat. When hot, add ground beef and sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, breaking beef into hearty chunks until just barely pink, about 1-2 minutes.
Remove and turn off heat.
In a 12- or 14-inch nonstick pizza pan, using a rolling pin and flour, gently press dough to 12-inch diameter, being careful not to create any holes (crust will be crispier if pan is dark gray or black). If dough tears, patch it. Then, using a fork, poke dough about 20 times, evenly spreading out the holes. Bake for 4 minutes.
Spoon sauce in center of dough, then spread evenly to cover all but the outer inch. Sprinkle cheese evenly over sauce. Then top evenly with pepperoni, sausage mixture, vegetable mixture, then olives.
Sprinkle with oregano and red pepper flakes. Bake an additional 12-15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned (but before the cheese browns). Remove. Let stand for 5 minutes. Then transfer to cutting board and slice into 8 slices.