Chocolate is a great antioxidant and aphrodisiac. This delicious cocoa chicken mole recipe isn’t just for chocolate lovers, it’s always been a hit with my friends and family! Try serving it with a side salad with an avocado cilantro dressing and Mexican rice for a homemade fiesta your taste buds will fall in love with!
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 1 yellow onion, chopped 1 1⁄2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper + 1 tsp. adobo sauce from can, chopped
- 1 cup no sugar added raisins
- 2 cups canned no salt added tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 oz. unsweetened chocolate or 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
- Fresh cilantro, for serving Lime wedges, for serving 1 avocado, sliced, for serving 100% whole wheat tortilla
Place a pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion and garlic, stirring to soften for 5 minutes. Add the chipotle with adobo sauce, raisins, and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Carefully pour the mixture into a blender. Add the peanut butter, broth, chili powder, and cinnamon. Puree the mixture until smooth.
Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the shredded chicken and heat through.
Serve with cilantro, lime, avocado, and tortillas.